Breast Cancer is an uncontrollable and abnormal growth of body cells and tissues in breasts. If the breast cancer symptoms are noticed at early stages, the disease can be controlled and treated. This malignant growth can occur at different body parts causing cancer there. We know that a lot of people are fighting these days against different types of cancers. And not all of them come as survivors at last; many succumb to this and lose their precious lives. You should not fail to diagnose early breast cancer stages.
Cancer facts in US
American cancer society came up with facts showing that around 14.5 million of American cancer patients were alive and being treated by 2104. And the year 2016 may experience approximately 1,685,210 fresh cancer cases in US. Out of all these cases, 595,690 US patients are expected to die of cancer by the year end.
Cancer in India
The facts relating to cancer spread in India (as per Indiatoday) tell that in 2012, approximately 5.37 lac women and 4.77 lac men were diagnosed with cancer. Out of this, 3.56 lac men and 3.26 lac women lost their lives. Every year in India, cervical cancer is diagnosed among 1,34,00,000 women and 72,000 of such females die every year.
The most common cancers today are prostate cancer, oral cancer, and cancer of lung, cervix, stomach, liver and breast. Breast cancer is the second largest death causing cancer in the world. When there is abnormal tissue growth under the skin of breast and one can easily feel some lump like formation, there is a possibility that one has been entrapped by breast cancer.
Studies carried out by US scientists suggest that however there had been 36% decline in the death rate caused by breast cancer during 1989-2012 because of cancer detection and treatment at early stages, but still approximately 40,890 individuals (40,450 females and 440 males) in 2016 can have to face death due to this dangerous ailment.
Breast cancer symptoms
- Presence of painless cellular lump anywhere in the breast area.
- Abnormalities in nipples.
- Tenderness or swelling in breasts.
- Irritation and redness in the area.
- Flaking of the nipple skin or the skin of breasts.
- Irregular shape of breasts.
- Unexplained discharge from nipples.
Note: Any pain in breast region should not be confused with the symptom of breast cancer. There may be any benign condition that is causing the discomfort.
Prevalent (avoidable) Factors leading to cancerous growth in breast
- Going for menopausal hormonal therapy. See, how Hormonal Imbalance Signs
- Lack of physical activity. (See, relationship between Inactive People And Intelligence )
- Smoking cigarettes (women who begin smoking prior to their fist pregnancies are more prone to developing breast cancers) Read, Marijuana’s Effect On The Brain
- Alcohol consumption
- Disrupted sleep patterns. Read about Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
- Stressful lifestyle. See, How Positive Thinking Helps
- Oral contraceptives
Prevalent (non avoidable) Factors leading to cancerous growth in breast
- Increasing age
- Family history with breast or other cancers.
- Type 2 diabetes
- High bone-mineral density.
- Early beginning of menstrual cycle.
- High sex hormones levels
- Dose of strong radiations to the chest during young age.
Factors that can reduce breast cancer risk
- Breastfeeding for at least one year.
- A healthy routine including proper exercises.
- Medicines such as tamoxifen and reloxifene have been proved to reduce breast cancer symptoms or risk in women(Reloxifene is not to be taken by postmenopausal females)
Breast cancer test
A low dose X-ray process called mammography is the best test to detect cancerous growth in breast at early stages. However, in some cases, this test too cannot possibly sense cancers. It includes women with heavy breasts. Another good diagnostic tool is MRI. This test is required for the females who suffer from higher risk of developing breast cancers. Other tools to test breast cancer include biopsy, breast ultrasound
Breast cancer best treatment
Depending upon the extent, size as well as individual differences to react to certain treatments, the best treatment for cancerous growth in breast is to be chosen. Breast-conserving surgery along with radiation therapy and Mastectomy are the most common treatments available to treat breast cancer. Other than these there are treatments like chemotherapy, hormone therapy as well as targeted therapy. We should always aim at early detection of these cancerous growths in breast. And the treatments provided will definitely show great results.
Need of the hour is to become more aware about the breast cancer symptoms and preventions for this ghastly disease so as to avoid them at most and be able to enjoy a healthful life to the fullest. After all, we don’t live twice. We have every right to live it as beautifully as we would want to. Why let any deadly ailment like cancer get hold of it? Be determined and fight it!