Whitehead!! Once noticed, can be a matter of embarrassment just like dark neck (Read, home remedies for dark neck here), for any individual. Very few people can identify a whitehead and find remedies for its removal. So what is a whitehead? It is kind of non-inflammatory, small acne mark with a whitish top. An individual who suffers from acne would have the high risks of developing blackheads and whiteheads. Blackheads and whiteheads can take place all over the body, especially around oily areas of the body. But, still, their appearance is much likely on facial skin as compared to other body parts. In this article, we will read about what causes whiteheads on face, nose, etc. and how to get rid of whiteheads easily using home remedies for whiteheads.
Blackheads and whiteheads | What causes whiteheads?
When dead skin cells along with skin sebum obstruct the hair follicle, a small white bump appears on the surface of the skin to give rise to a whitehead. And when the sebum as well as the dead cells get exposed and oxidized turn black they give rise to blackheads. This is the difference between blackheads and whiteheads. Both Blackheads and whiteheads occur due to oily skin that is not cleaned regularly ( Read how to keep skin cleaned here) or because of poor, oily spicy and unhealthy diet, smoking, stress and uncontrolled acne, hormonal alterations especially during puberty, menstruation cycle, menopause, certain pills or medicines like birth control pills, increased androgens level, overuse of cosmetics. Whiteheads on face are commonly seen in the T-zone of the face; i.e. the temple, nose and chin and at times on the apple of the cheeks.
How to get rid of whiteheads?
Whiteheads on face can be pretty demoralizing. There are various ways to get rid of whiteheads both cosmetically as well as through home remedies for whiteheads. However, more stress is put on home remedies as they are pocket-friendly and the ingredients required are commonly available. Also, the tips are easy to perform. If done diligently on a daily basis for a few months, it can lead to velvety and smooth skin free from whiteheads. ( Read cosmetic procedure Brazilian butt augmentation here).
Home remedies for whiteheads
Out of the several home remedies available, here are a few commonly used and the most effective home remedies for whiteheads.
- The oatmeal scrub is an effective remedy for whitehead removal. Any scrubbing leads to a friction causing to unclog the blocked pores and clean the skin surface of dead cells and dirt. Oatmeal mixed with honey and milk is extremely beneficial as a scrub. (Read other honey and milk benefits here).
- Facial steaming is an age old remedy, whereby it unclogs the blocked pores and cleans it of dead cells and sebum. You can also consider getting a good fruit facial for whiteheads free face.
- Tomatoes are very potent for whitehead removal. Use the pulp of tomatoes and leave it for a while. Wash your face to discover a glowing skin free from whiteheads.
- Baking soda mixed with a little water can be applied on face, leave it for a few minutes and let it dry, wash it off and see the whiteheads disappear.
- Apple cider Vinegar (1tsp) + Cornstarch vinegar (3tsp) mixed together forming a paste if used or applied after a steam bath for 20 minutes can help you know how to get rid of whiteheads on face very effectively.
- Green tea should be drunk daily if whiteheads are teasing much. Besides, drinking it, apply it directly on whiteheads on face or nose. It will reduce production of sebum and also inhibit androgen receptors’ role on skin.
- A mask prepared using gram flour, honey, turmeric and lemon can also help with sebum reduction. Apply this mask prepared from equal quantities of flour, honey and lemon with two pinches of turmeric. Rub it off using rosewater after 10 minutes.
- If you think more about how to get rid of whiteheads using home based ingredients, cinnamon-honey paste can also be given a try if you are not allergic to it. Apply a paste prepared by mixing honey and cinnamon, on the blackheads and whiteheads and leave for 20 minutes. Wash off.
- Tea-tree oil with its antibacterial and antifungal properties is one of the best home remedies for blackheads and whiteheads. It can be applied directly onto the whiteheads on face and other body parts.
- Egg white mask can be made separating yolk from the egg. This egg white can be applied on the skin directly using fingers or brush. When it is dried, peel it off gently.
How to keep whiteheads on face at bay
Whiteheads can be easily avoided if the following can be done on a daily basis as a routine.
- Keep your hands away from your face. As our hands attract the maximum dirt and germs, they directly have an access to our face and cause harm in the form of acne and other bacterial infections.
- Follow the CTM routine daily for a clean, toned and moisturized facial skin which will anyways keep whiteheads at bay and help you own a healthy and clean skin.
- Apply skin enhancing natural products daily like aloe vera gel, fuller earth, etc. These will anyway keep your skin healthy and blemish free.
- Exfoliation should be followed once every week to keep the surface of the skin clean by removing all the toxins and dead cells away. Exfoliation can be done using soft grains or herbal paste made at home or products available over the counter.
- Remove makeup diligently every time it’s applied. Remains of makeup and other chemical components on the skin can leave harmful toxins behind leading to dangerous long-term effects. So, make it a habit of never sleeping with your makeup on.
Apart from the above home remedies, one could also opt for the several skin care treatments and medical options available in the market today for permanent removal of whiteheads. Medical professionals use Salicylic acid, Alpha hydroxyl acids and Benzoyl peroxide quite regularly for the treatment and removal of whiteheads which are now occurring in all age groups.
Still, if you find that the problem of whiteheads on face, nose etc. is recurring and is not leaving you permanently, consult a dermatologist and inquire him about how to get rid of whiteheads, he will suggest or prescribe medicines as per your skin requirements.