Sodium is an electrolyte that is necessary for our body to maintain the water level in our cells and tissues. Maintaining normal sodium levels is so crucial to our health that if this level is imbalanced we can be really sick. The main ingredient in our diet is salt, through which we have sodium intake per day. We take salt through every food we eat. A survey was conducted on over 2 lack of Indians to reveal how much of salt is being taken by them per day. The results were shocking. We are consuming an excess of salt daily. It leads to the development of high sodium levels in the body and thus many diseases grab us. Similarly, consuming low sodium diet always is not a healthy practice either. Avoid high sodium foods, but do maintain normal daily salt intake to avoid diseases.
and how Eye Bags and salt intake are interrelated.
Why avoid high sodium levels in the body?
An excessive amount of sodium may make you really ill. Just to soothe your taste buds, you like to sprinkle more salt in your food without knowing that it is only going to harm you internally. If you have even a pinch of salt more than the required and recommended amount, following diseases can come to knock you down.
- Salt has water retention capacity and people consuming much of it bear the risk of holding water back in their tissues that results in ascites or oedema or swelling of different body parts.
- Bloating can also occur and people may find that their body is becoming bulkier day by day.
- The calories increase rapidly with high sodium foods and there lies a risk of developing cancer. Be aware if you see or feel any Lump In The Breast it may sign towards cancer of breasts.
- People may suffer from obesity, osteoporosis, stomach cancer, B.P. problems, hypertension, or heart attacks.
- The possibilities of stroke increase with high sodium levels in the body. So people who thrive much on salty dishes should be more careful and consume only such food items that will encourage normal sodium levels in their blood stream.
- Patients already suffering from diseases like high B.P, kidney problems, weak heart, and from diabetes should never at any cost consume much salt. It will only worsen their condition. Read Best Tips For Diabetic Patients
- Also for asthmatic patients, an excess of salt triggers frequency of asthmatic attacks. Especially the kids suffering from asthma should never be given salt more than the needed amount. To cure asthma, here are the Best Remedies For Asthma
- Dehydration can also occur if you have much salt.
- Swelling of face as well as other body parts.
Avoid these high sodium foods
- Fried and spicy food items lead to developing high sodium levels in the body
- Snacks like chhole bhature, samose, etc
- Coriander chutney
- Packed chips
- Processed and fast food
- Other salty cuisines
- Food preservatives
Smart ways to reduce daily salt intake or sodium intake per day
- Make it a habit to not sprinkle white salt or table salt in the yoghurt or curd that accompanies your day meals. Instead, use black salt for it has low sodium and more minerals.
- Do not put salt in salads or juices. Adding salt to them snatches away their nutritional value.
- Try to utilize the saltiness that is present naturally in most of the vegetables.
- Avoid processed and packed foods like chips, pizzas, burgers. They have preservatives which usually contain high sodium levels.
- Always check the nutritional information on the packed foods in case you cannot avoid purchasing them. Check sodium quantity there. Buy those products only that are low in sodium or have normal sodium levels.
Read Healthy Food List that you should implement in your day to day life.
Go for low sodium diet and not for no sodium diet
After reading all this, if you are planning to eliminate salt completely out of your diet, beware! Lack of salt can be really dangerous. It can also lead to following problems-
- Hair fall or hair loss. (To control hair loss, read Home Remedies For Hair Fall )
- Appearance of wrinkles on skin (If you are suffering from skin problems, read Beauty And Glow Detox By Kimberly Snyder )
- Brittle nails
- Muscle cramps (Read How To Delay Muscle Aging )
- Hypotension and low B.P.
- High sodium levels in the body is dangerous but when its amount goes really down in your blood, you may also be trapped by coma.
Recommended daily salt intake to maintain normal sodium levels
A survey that was conducted on 2,27,000 of Indians revealed startling results. It concluded that we are daily consuming double of the quantity of salt needed by our bodies, i.e. approximately 10.98 grams/day while, according to WHO, every human being should consume just 5 grams of salt per day; neither more nor less than this quantity is going to save you from myriads of ailments. In Tripura, we have the highest per day salt consumers. They have around 14 grams of salt every day.
Vivek Jha, Executive director, George Institute, invokes Indians to bring about mandatory changes in their diets and help the country cut down its salt consumption. It is estimated by WHO that by 2025, the daily salt intake in India will definitely come to the normal level and we will give a good fight to high sodium levels.
Remember running much after tongue’s satisfaction can cost you your health. Add salt to your food, not for the taste buds, but for the health. Check your daily salt intake.
It’s very important to keep a check on your weight. Overweight points towards declining health. Try products like Health sense.