Migraine and season change do not get along well with each other. As there is sudden temperature fall, migraine symptoms start showing up. The patients suffering from this condition only know what they are up to when the ailment hits them. Here in this article we will learn about what is a migraine? what causes migraines? how to treat migraine and migraine treatment as well as migraine medication. We will also know about the best migraine preventions tips to avoid migraine headache.
What is a migraine?
This is a neurological disorder; a recurrent severe headache, affecting mostly the head’s one side, but at times the whole of it also. Migraine headache may stay for 2 to 72 hours depending upon how early you notice migraine symptoms and plunge on migraine preventions or medications. The throbbing headache that occurs with this interferes badly in our day-to-day routine, disturbing all of it. Scientists say that it is related somehow to our genes, and the problem can clutch anyone, be it a male, female or a child. However, a research concluded that mostly women are affected by migraines. Check out the video to know what is a migraine pain.
What causes migraines / migraine headache
According to expert neurologists, migraine occurs due to expansion of blood vessels inside the skull accompanied by release of certain chemicals. These chemicals are released due to extreme pressure on Central nervous system, especially nerve fibres during headaches and cause swelling and sharp pain in the neural region resulting in severe headache. Let’s know more about what causes migraines .
Migraine can begin due to following reasons-
- Some chronic allergy
- Mental tensions
- Loud and shrilling sound
- Pungent smell, sharp light
- Disturbed sleep pattern
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Birth control medications
- Hormonal changes
- Alcoholism and smoking
- Some foods like pickles, fish, etc.
Check the migraine symptoms
Headaches quite commonly affect people in their daily stressful lives. But not every headache is a migraine headache. Know how to differentiate between general headaches like in sinus, tensions, etc. and migraine headache with these migraine symptoms and treat migraine before it starts.
- During migraine, there are visual disturbances and one may visualize black spots or some dazzling bright and distorted flashes of light in front of their eyes.
- Pinching sensations in skin along with general weakness in body.
- Nausea, vomiting and lowering down of blood pressure.
- Irritation from light and sound.
- Behavioural changes like anxiety, anger, annoyance, loss of tolerance.
- dark circles under eyes.
About migraine treatment
No definite migraine treatment is known yet. But, the condition is obviously not to be afraid of. It does not have any life-threatening implications and is a non-communicable disease. If you understand about the migraine symptoms well and take precautions enough, this ailment can be completely controlled.
According to studies and their results, in 50 to 60 % patients, the chances and frequency of migraine as well as severity of migraine headaches diminish after they attain the age of 30 to 40. But, in some cases, the problem takes an adverse turn and the patients experience extremely penetrating headaches twice or thrice month. Those patients are kept on strong migraine medication(s) to gradually control migraine.
How to treat migraine with certain migraine medication
Patients who suffer from adverse migraine situations are treated with low dose of prophylactic drugs for six to seven months so that their migraine headache recurrences stop. Other patients who suffer from sudden sharp pain in their heads during migraine, once in months, are exposed to periodic dose of migraine medication like Sumatriptanum, Rizatriptan, Naproxen, Paracetamol, Propanolol, etc.
Migraine preventions tips
Well, no permanent cure of migraine has yet been discovered. You need to avoid some situations and conditions that can trigger or instigate migraine headache. Here are some useful migraine preventions tips.
- Do not expose yourself to cold climate immediately after sitting in some hot area, and vice versa. Also avoid taking warm and cold dishes or beverages simultaneously.
- Do not let yourself suffer from dehydration. Keep drinking water every now and them to keep the body hydrated and water level maintained in it. It will keep strict check on the ailment and is the best migraine treatment.
- Try to avoid the consumption of oral contraceptives as these pills are rich source of progesterone hormone which is something what causes migraines.
- Limit your exposure to direct sun rays. Whenever stepping out, always carry an umbrella over your head and sunglasses over your eyes. It is still better if you can cut down travelling time in summers.
- Control your urges for tea, coffee, spicy food, etc. especially in rainy season. These will make you perspire a lot and it is not healthy for a migraine patient.
- Practice such activities that will reduce stress like walking barefooted on the green grass in the morning, half an hour Yoga and Pranayama, brisk evening walk, etc.
So, hope you now have a good knowledge about what is a migraine, its symptoms, causes, treatment, preventions. Do make complete use of it, treat migraine yourself and stay healthy and migraine free.