Diabetes, the dreaded lifestyle disease affects millions of people around the globe. In simple terms, diabetes is a disease in which the person suffers from fluctuating blood sugar levels especially high blood sugar levels. This could be because the body is not producing enough insulin for sugar metabolism or the body is unable to respond to insulin in the normal way or both. A high blood sugar level in the body can be dangerous to the extent of being fatal. It is,therefore, important to look at some of the ways in which the blood sugar levels can be brought down immediately. So, just get some tricks as to how to lower blood sugar fast.
How to lower blood sugar fast
- Change in the diet – Low carbohydrate intake is ideal for those wishing to get the sugar levels down. Carbohydrates are found in high quantities in rice, bread, pasta, root vegetables etc. If you are looking at bringing down the sugar levels, talk to your doctor and reduce intake of these foods. An immediate result is seen when this is done. Since carbohydrates cannot be altogether eliminated from your diet, it is a good idea to spread them over the day. This will make sure that at any given time, the intake is minimal and the body is able to absorb it in a better way. Reducing the quantity consumed also helps, for instance, eat a few slices of apples instead of the entire apple to control or lower blood sugar levels.
- Burn the sugar – If you have consumed a large quantity of sugar, it is a good idea to exercise and burn it out. Light exercises show almost instant results on how to lower blood sugar fast. These workouts do not need to be strenuous but easy like a ’20 minute walk’.
- Hydrate yourself – Drink at least two glasses of water as early as possible if you wish to lower blood sugar fast. Water helps by flushing out the sugar from the blood stream without adding any extra calories.
- Protein snack – A snack that is full of protein is yet another alternative to combat the high sugar level. It can slow down the rate of absorption of sugar. It should be taken just when hunger strikes so that you do not harm yourself by taking in large quantities of sugar packed snack.
- Fenugreek powder – Soak fenugreek seeds in hot water and drink it up. You can also use fenugreek powder capsules. fenugreek slows the absorption of sugar in the blood stream and thus regulates it. A word of caution here – too much fenugreek is not advisable as it is also a laxative.
- Unsweetened tea or Green Tea – Packed with antioxidants, green tea is well known for the benefits that it has on health. Unsweetened black and white tea too, is considered good for lowering blood sugar levels. If not fond of this beverage, you should know and read more benefits of drinking green tea, else you can take green tea extract in the form of a pill.
- Chromium Picolinate – According to studies this lowers the blood sugar level within an hour. However, this needs to be taken in moderation for its overdose in any way can have adverse effects on the liver.
- Red wine – Contrary to what many think, a glass of red wine is good for lowering the sugar absorption by the liver. However, this is a short term solution.
- Cinnamon Pills – This is another very effective method of lowering blood sugar levels, -but you need to take it in adequate quantity (about 3000mg at each meal) and therefore cinnamon capsules are recommended.
- Apple cider vinegar – This is a part of most kitchens. Though it takes some time to lower the sugar levels, a few spoonfuls do not do any harm either way.
So, now you know all the best tricks of how to lower blood sugar fast. Please share with us all which of them you tried and benefitted from.